Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Toggle Navigation Menu
Parents Hero Image

Frequently Asked Questions


Does my student need to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes, each year you and your student together will need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®), Linfield Application for Financial Aid and any other documents the Office of Financial Aid requests.

Learn more about student finances.


What measures does Linfield take to keep the campus safe?

Linfield takes every precaution to keep your student safe. Campus Safety Officers patrol the entire campus 24 hours a day, making building checks and being available for any disturbances or concerns. If your student has a concern or needs a campus escort, he or she may contact Campus Safety directly at 503-883-SAFE (7233). As a parent, talk to your student about making smart choices about personal safety, and recommend reporting any suspicious behavior immediately.

How safe are the residence halls?

The campus is patrolled 24 hours a day by Linfield Campus Safety. The Campus Safety staff can be contacted by telephone. There are also blue light emergency phones located throughout campus which connect directly to Campus Safety. Students are provided with a key to personal rooms, and student identification cards will open all residence hall doors for Linfield students between 10 am and 10 pm daily. Only students living in a hall will have daily 24-hour access. Linfield policy requires students to carry identification cards at all times when on campus.

Does the campus have any safety guidelines for students?

Linfield provides a variety of safety guidelines for students, including advice to lock your doors, report strangers on campus, and getting acquainted with dormmates as soon as possible. The Linfield Campus Security website has additional safety tips to help your student.

As a parent, remind your student that their help is necessary to keep the campus safe.

Can I find out about Linfield's safety record?

Linfield University takes every precaution to keep its students safe. View recent campus safety statistics.

Learn more about campus safety.


Where does my student eat?

Students living on-campus eat most meals in the central dining facility, Dillin Hall. However, your student may buy snacks and drinks at other locations around campus, including Starbucks and the Wildcat Express.

If my student lives on campus, is a meal plan required?

All students in residence halls or fraternity housing (who are non-suburb eligible) are required to be on a meal plan. For the first semester that a student attends Linfield (including transfer students) and living in a residence hall, he/she starts with the Unlimited meal plan. For the second semester and thereafter, a different option may be chosen. Meal Plan changes may only be made during the first two weeks of fall and spring semesters, and during the first two days of January Term. Various meal plan options are available to view online.

For more FAQ's about meal plans, please visit Linfield Dining Services pages.

Academic Advising

Will someone help my student choose classes?

Your student will have access a Faculty Advisor and Peer Advisor, in addition to the Office of Academic Advising, to support class selection. A Faculty Advisor serves as a student's primary point of contact for creating an educational plan and choosing a major. Students are required to meet with their Faculty Advisors prior to registration every semester. Faculty Advisors also serve as mentor, guiding students in understanding the cultural and intellectual life of the college. Your student is welcome to change advisors upon completion of the first semester. Once a major has been chosen, the advisor must be in that department.

How will my student's GPA be calculated?

For detailed information on GPA calculation at Linfield, visit the "Calculating a GPA" page in the Academic Advising pages.

My student needs a tutor. Does Linfield make tutors available to students?

Linfield students have access to a variety of learning aids, including the Writing Center, subject tutors, a Learning Skills class, and group study sessions. However, your student might need your support before asking for help. More information is available on the Learning Support pages.

Can I talk to my student's academic advisor or the registrar about my student's progress or grades?

Our philosophy is to foster the students' ownership of their own education. This includes teaching students about how to evaluate their academic goals/progress and communicate them effectively. It is our hope students and parents speak directly about the student's academic progress. Students also have the right, under the law, to keep private (even from parents) information about their academic progress – students may even protect their information such that the institution cannot acknowledge attendance at the college. Students may choose to authorize the institution to release specific information; please talk to your student about this option.

For more information on academic advising, visit the Academic Advising pages.

Getting Involved

What kinds of activities are available for my student?

The Linfield Activities Board (LAB) is an organization created by the Associated Students of Linfield University to coordinate social, cultural, and educational activities for the student body. The Activities Board plans concerts, movies, Saturday night entertainment, trips to performing arts events, outdoor recreation. Students are also encouraged to join other organizations on campus -- intramural sports teams, the yearbook staff, Greek organizations, or Habitat for Humanity, to name just a few. Encourage your student to get involved!

For more information about getting involved, please visit the Associated Students of Linfield University clubs and activities pages.

Physical and Emotional Wellness

What counseling services are available for my student at the Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center?

The Linfield University counselors offer short-term individual and group counseling and workshops for currently enrolled students. Counselors are also available on a "consulting" basis to speak with individuals or groups concerned about a third party, for example, students concerned about a friend who seems depressed, or a professor who has noticed declining grades in a student in her class and suspects the cause might be a mental health issue, including drug or alcohol misuse. Counselors may receive information from parents, although they may not provide you with health information about your student without your student's written consent.

Visit the Counseling pages on the Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center site for more information on physical and emotional wellness.


What computer resources are available on campus?

Linfield has a number of computer labs that can be used by anyone with a Linfield ID card. In addition, several departments offer specialized computer labs for their students, and "email only" computers are situated throughout the campus. Many buildings have wireless internet access available, and the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) can provide a limited amount of technology support for students. For more information, visit Linfield's ITS website.

Does my student need to bring a computer to campus?

A personal computer is not necessary although many students find owning one helpful. The computers in the on-campus labs meet the needs of a large number of students, especially during the first year. Having a printer is convenient though not necessary -- all on-campus labs have printers available. Ethernet connections in student residence hall rooms make a modem unnecessary.

What specific operating systems and software are recommended?

Minimum requirements for Macs and PCs are necessary to connect to Linfield's system, and students who will be bringing computers will need to configure their computers for access to Linfield's network. More information is available at the Information Technology Services pages.

Does Linfield offer any discounts on computers or software?

The bookstore offers educational discounts and on-campus warranty for any Mac computer purchased through them. Ethernet cables and software will also be available for purchase. Please refer to the Linfield Bookstore for more information regarding ordering or shipping computers.

Visit the ITS pages for more information about technology on the Linfield campus.


Just how "co-ed" are the dorms?

Men and women live on separate floors or wings where each floor has its own bathroom(s). (Exception: because the rooms in Newby Hall and Memorial Hall have access to a private bathroom, the floors are co-ed.) The college has established times when men and women may visit each other's rooms and floors. These hours are: Sunday through Thursday, 10 a.m. until midnight and weekends from 10 a.m. until 2 a.m. of the following day. Escorted guests may be in the lounges at any time of day in those halls which elect to extend this option.

How are residence hall assignments made?

Your student will need to fill out Linfield's Housing Preference Form. You may call the Office of Admission at 1-800-640-2287 and request this form. Housing assignments are made in the same order in which matriculation fees are received by the Office of Admission. By submitting your student's $400 matriculation fee early, your student has a better chance of being assigned to the hall of choice. We begin making hall assignments in mid-summer, and you'll hear from us shortly thereafter.

How are roommates assigned?

Room assignments are made after the Residence Life staff reads the information your student provided on the Housing Preference Form. Every effort is made to match your student with someone who appears to have similar interests and study habits. Please encourage your student to take time to fill out the survey accurately. Your student may room with someone from your hometown, but we ask them to consider living with someone they don't know. Meeting new people is an important aspect of college life. If your student chooses to live with a friend, they must both request each other as roommates on the Housing Preference Form.

What should my student bring?

Helping your child pack is a good way to get involved with their college experience. Each room is equipped with a bed, desk, desk chair, dresser for each student. Your student may consider bringing a computer, alarm clock, towels and other bathroom accoutrements, posters and pictures from home, and office supplies.

Learn more about residence life.


Can my student get a ride to the airport?

Linfield provides limited airport shuttle service from campus at various times throughout the year (view the schedule). To reserve a place on one of the following shuttles, your student may sign up in the Campus Information Center (CIC) on the 1st floor of Riley. Any questions can be asked at the CIC or by phone at extension 2610.

I haven't been able to have my question answered. What should I do?

Contact us by email or by phone at 503-883-5775, and we'll find an answer for you.