Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Toggle Navigation Menu
Linfield University banners on the McMinnville campus in spring

Health and Wellness FAQs

Minimizing the Risk

  • What can people do to help keep the Linfield community healthy? (updated 05/20/21)

    The best way to protect everyone's friends, colleagues and students is to get vaccinated, follow Linfield’s temporary pandemic policies and practice healthy hygiene habits.

    • Get vaccinated. Vaccination is the best way to protect yourself and your community against COVID-19. SHWCC strongly recommends those who can get vaccinated.
    • Linfield asks that all members of our community perform a health self-monitoring checklist before coming to campus each day. This can be done by using the Health Monitoring Daily Checklist.
    • If you are sick or ill, stay home. Isolate yourself from others in your household as best as possible.
    • Wear a cloth face-covering anytime you are indoors on campus.
    • Face coverings must also be worn outside whenever six feet of physical distance cannot be maintained. 
    • Avoid touching your face covering as much as possible, especially the side towards your face. Wash your face covering daily.
    • Wash hands frequently for 20 seconds. You should wash your hands if you have been away from your safe space and touched frequently touched surfaces.
    • Avoid touching your face, nose, and/or mouth unless you have just washed your hands. Then wash your hands again!
    • Clean your space/office periodically throughout the workday AND if you have had visitors to your area. Coordinate with your office team or roommates to periodically wipe down the frequently touched surfaces in your area throughout the day.
  • What safety precautions are ongoing for Linfield's student-athletes? (01/30/21)

    Student-athletes are undergoing rigorous testing and being asked to follow very strict protocols this spring. They are following all Northwest Conference, Oregon Health Authority, Yamhill County Health Department and Linfield recommendations and guidelines.

    Surveillance testing is ongoing for all Linfield sports. We are required to test 25-50% of all athletes, coaches and athletic staff every 1-2 weeks. Student-athletes raised money last fall to help offset any additional costs for testing, so they could continue to participate while meeting the requirements.

    Only non-conference competition has been scheduled between institutions that verify they are comparable to us when it comes to testing, masking and practicing physical distancing. The NCAA considers most of our sports either low-risk or moderate-risk, but the Northwest Conference and Linfield continue to follow protocols and administer tests at higher levels than the national body would mandate.

    Football and basketball are classified as high-risk. The level of recommended testing is much more rigorous for these sports. Student-athletes in those activities must be tested at least three times per week using antigen testing or once a week via PCR testing.

  • What changes have been made to the Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center? (updated 05/20/21)

    The Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center (SHWCC) in McMinnville has made the following changes to the center’s operations:

    • SHWCC is open through the end of May term. Appointments made by calling 503-883-2535, emailing or stopping by the front desk in Walker Hall 105.
    • Traffic will be one direction, with Walker 105 serving as the entrance and 103 as the exit.
    • In accordance with university policy, face coverings are required in the building.
    • Counseling services will continue to be offered face-to-face and via telehealth.
    • A part-time counselor and full-time medical assistant have joined the staff to help serve students.
    • The staff will have a team of contract trackers who work with students placed in isolation or quarantine to monitor their health and make sure they are getting what they need.

    Learn more about the changes and continuing services.

  • How is Linfield keeping a “bubble” on campus with the staff and faculty leaving campus daily or weekly, oftentimes more than the students? (11/08/20)

    When we think about ways to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus, we know the most effective methods currently available are maintaining physical distance of six feet or more and wearing face coverings, as well as practicing good hand hygiene. Our faculty and staff take these precautions seriously and the university has designed the environment and policies to support these methods. Students by and large interact with faculty and staff in environments where these practices are the norm.

    What we are learning about COVID-19 outbreaks is they happen when people are not implementing these practices, such as when they are in their homes or at social gatherings and physical distancing is not practiced or face coverings come off because people are eating and drinking together. Because our faculty and staff don’t do those behaviors on campus, the mere fact that they live somewhere else hasn’t been shown to increase the risk to the community.

  • What is the “Wild for our Health” pledge? (updated 08/04/20)

    The “Wild for our Health” pledge is a commitment made by Linfield students to keep our community as safe as possible by practicing good hygiene and health habits.

  • What things should students bring to campus (toilet paper, wipes, etc.)? (07/17/20)

    Check out “Packing Your First Aid Kit – University Edition” prepared by Linfield’s Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center.

COVID-19 Testing

More information is available on the COVID-19 testing page.
  • Where can someone get tested for COVID-19? (updated 05/20/21)

    Information about COVID-19 testing, including where you can get tested, is available on the COVID-19 testing page.

  • Why does Linfield not provide COVID-19 testing for its employees? (updated 05/20/21)

    Linfield's Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center serves as a healthcare provider for Linfield's current students; it is not a healthcare provider for employees. 

    Staff and faculty access to their own healthcare providers through their health insurance program. For those employees who utilize the university's health insurance program through Kaiser Permanente, more information about testing can be found on their COVID-19 testing page or you can request a test through

  • Are non-student athletes being tested randomly or has it been only targeted toward student-athletes? (11/05/20)

    Linfield’s weekly surveillance testing includes both student-athletes and non-student-athletes. Throughout the semester, samples of students have been tested from various residence halls, Greek chapters, student activities like marching band and more.

  • Will students who have received a COVID-19 vaccine be subject to screen testing (12/22/20)?

    Students who have received two doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine, and can provide documentation, will not be subject to screen testing. 

  • Can Linfield help students from Hawaii or Alaska get tested before returning home? (updated 05/20/21)

    Students can get tested for COVID through the Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center. Certain states may require testing at specific sites and all are encouraged to review that information on the website of the appropriate state.

  • Can students get tested for COVID-19 before returning home for break if they have high-risk family members? (11/13/20)

    Students can get tested for COVID through the Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center. There are many testing sites in McMinnville and Yamhill County. The Oregon Health Authority website can help locate a testing site. 

Illness, Quarantine and Isolation

  • Do people who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 still need to quarantine after a known exposure? (updated 06/27/21)

    People who have been exposed to COVID-19 but have been fully immunized with a COVID-19 vaccine are not required to quarantine. However, they should still monitor themselves for symptoms of COVID-19 for two weeks after exposure, seeking testing and isolating if they develop symptoms.

    Those exposed but who are unvaccinated will need to quarantine for 14 days, get tested near the completion of quarantine, and test negative before they can come out of quarantine. Any contact who tests positive will need to isolate for 10 days following the positive test result.

  • What should someone do if they feel sick? (updated 09/04/20)

    First and foremost, STAY HOME or in your residence hall room, or suite or apartment room, and keep away from other people.

    • Students: Contact the Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center to discuss next steps in care. If living on campus, contact your residence advisor who can assist in getting you food or supplies as needed. If you are a student on the Portland campus, contact Student Life at
    • Employees: Contact your personal healthcare provider to discuss next steps in care. Notify Human Resources of your illness. Contact your supervisor or department head, if appropriate.
  • What happens if a member of the Linfield community is diagnosed with COVID-19? What about contact tracing? (06/25/20)

    Once Linfield is notified of a confirmed case of COVID-19, Yamhill County Public Health Department will be notified if the case is on the McMinnville campus, and Multnomah County Public Health Department will be notified if the case occurs on the Portland campus. Linfield will provide class rosters, club or sports rosters and any other information requested by the local public health authority to assist with the contact tracing process. Contact tracing is a function of the Public Health Department and may extend beyond the campus communities.

    Linfield’s Human Resource Department and Student Health, Wellness and Counseling on the McMinnville campus and Student Life on the Portland campus have been designated as Contact Trackers. These departments will be checking in with anyone who has been placed in isolation due to a positive test or quarantine due to exposure to a person with a known positive test with the goal of assisting with any needs one might have.

  • What is the difference between quarantine and isolation? (06/25/20)

    According to the CDC, quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed  to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms. People in quarantine should stay home, separate themselves from others, monitor their symptoms and communicate with their health care provider about any changes in their health.

    Isolation is used to separate people infected with the virus (those who are  sick  with COVID-19 and those with no symptoms) from people who are not infected. People who are in isolation should stay home until it’s safe for them to be around others. In the home, anyone sick or infected should separate themselves from others by staying in a specific “sick room” or area and using a separate bathroom (if available). Linfield will have a team assigned to check in with students in isolation to help monitor their health. Linfield has identified housing options for students in isolation or quarantine.

  • What would happen if someone contracted COVID-19? (08/04/20)

    If you did get diagnosed with COVID-19 by a test or symptoms suggestive of COVID-19, you would be placed in a private room with access to a bathroom, also known as isolation. You would remain in this room for a period of 10 days from either the day your first symptoms developed or you were tested AND you are free of fever without the use of fever-reducing medication for 24 hours. Because turnaround times for the test vary, you would be isolated immediately to keep you in a safe place and reduce the possibility of transmitting the virus to others.

    While in isolation, you will have a member of the health care team checking on you once a day, asking you to report any new or worsening symptoms. You will be provided with written instructions for what to look for and what would constitute an emergency and need for immediate care. You will also be assigned a member of the residence life team who will also check in with you, using text, phone calls or some electronic face-to-face option. This team member will make sure the food delivery system is going okay and that you have connected with learning support services, so they can help arrange whatever accommodations needed to keep your academics going.

    Finally, you will also be contacted by a member of the Yamhill County contact tracing team to investigate your illness and see if they can identify where it was picked up from and who may have been exposed.

  • Should local students check in with SHWCC or their local doctors if they have COVID-related symptoms? (08/20/20)

    Linfield is asking that McMinnville students with COVID-like symptoms check in with the Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center (SHWCC) so that the institution’s medical staff can ensure that proper treatment advice is provided to the student, the appropriate accommodations are made for the student’s academic activities and appropriate notifications are promptly made to the public health department and institution staff.

    If you go to a different healthcare provider, please notify SHWCC of the situation promptly so they can help you take care of any institutional steps required for your situation.

    Portland students should seek the support of their own primary care provider for check-ins and more information regarding their symptoms.

  • What should a staff or faculty member do if contacted by a student about a possible exposure? (01/28/21)

    Respond to the student and copy Patty Haddeland, director of the Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center. Request that the student contact Patty directly so that the student can be properly connected to resources and have their academic and health needs properly addressed.

  • What should someone do if a member of their household is requested to self-isolate? (08/04/20)

    If an employee or a current and immediate member of their household is requested to self-isolate or quarantine based on the recommendation of a healthcare provider or other agency such as the CDC or OHA, and has job duties that can be performed on a temporary basis during this period of self-isolation or quarantine, they are then eligible to apply for temporary telecommuting. It is important to note that the physician’s note must have an end or re-evaluation date noted. The purpose of the temporary telecommuting agreement is indeed to allow an employee to telecommute with supporting medical documentation on a temporary basis.

Mental Health and Wellness

  • Where can students find help for dealing with anxiety or stress caused by the pandemic? (updated 11/04/20)

    Linfield’s Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center offers traditional face-to-face and tele-therapy services. Office hours during the academic year are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Appointments can be made by coming to the office, Walker 103, or by calling 503-883-2535. Students can also email if they have any questions.

    For after-hours emergencies, contact:

    • Lines for Life Crisis Hotline 1-800-273-8255 or Text '273talk' to 83986
    • JED 1-800-273- TALK (8255) or Text “START” to 741-741
    • National Suicide Text Line: Text “CONNECT” to 741741

    Or seek medical attention at:

    Physicians Medical Center
    2435 NE Cumulus Ave, Suite A, McMinnville

    Willamette Valley Medical Center (Hospital)
    2700 Stratus Avenue, McMinnville

  • Where can staff or faculty members find help for anxiety or stress caused by the pandemic? (updated 11/04/20)

    Linfield offers a variety of free resources for staff and faculty. These include:

    In addition, resources can be found by talking to your healthcare provider or local county health authority.